Former OSU Coach Jim Tressel Selected For Induction Into College Football Hall Of Fame
Youngstown State University president Jim Tressel got some good news on Friday. He was, along with Kansas State’s Bill Snyder, selected for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame.
In addition to the coaches, Ricky Williams and Brian Bosworth will also be of the 17 people inducted.
Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel has been selected for induction into tr College Football Hall of Fame.
— Ralph D. Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) January 9, 2015
Tressel’s induction will come under scrutiny because he is technically still under an NCAA show-cause penalty for violations including players trading memorabilia for tattoos. I’m sure you remember.
Because Tressel failed to report knowledge of the violations that occured and let his players play despite being ineligible, he was hit with an “unethical conduct” citation.
His show-cause penalty — which expires December 19, 2016 — requires any school that is interested to provide evidence as to why they should not face penalties if they hire the coach.
Tressel is now president at Youngstown State University and has no plans to coach football again. Instead, he is rebuilding the YSU program by bringing in fellow Youngstown Boy Bo Pelini to lead the Penguins back to greatness.
The rest of the 2015 includes…
- Nebraska LB Trev Alberts (1990-93)
- Oklahoma LB Brian Bosworth (1984-86)
- Arizona State LB Bob Breunig (1972-74)
- Millsaps (Miss.) DL Sean Brewer (1989-92)
- Pittsburgh OT Ruben Brown (1991-94)
- Florida WR Wes Chandler (1974-77)
- Notre Dame WR Thom Gatewood (1969-71)
- Yale RB Dick Jauron (1970-72)
- Michigan State RB Clinton Jones (1964-66)
- Washington OT Lincoln Kennedy (1989-92)
- Michigan RB Rob Lytle (1974-76)
- Marshall QB Michael Payton (1989-92)
- Kentucky DE Art Still (1974-77)
- Texas Tech LB Zach Thomas (1992-95)
- Texas RB Ricky Williams (1995-98)
- Kansas State coach Bill Snyder (1989-2005, 2009-Present)
- Youngstown State and Ohio State coach Jim Tressel (1986-2010)